Re: Ableton Live attention Per Boyson

On 04-04-20 04.34,  "damongrossman@comcast.net" <damongrossman@comcast.net>
wrote:

> Per:
>
> Can you loop live audio into Ableton Live if you have a computer on
>stage?
> For example, i don't necessarily want to buy an Echoplex.  #1
>availability
> #2price.

Definitely! Many musicians do that. I'm using a Behringer FCB1010 midi foot
controller to record enable tracks in Live and trigger recording as well as
trigger loop playback. But you have to get a good soundcard that usually
costs as much as the laptop. Here I'm using a RME Multiface that has a
little software mixer of its own that lets me split my instrument/mic input
in two streams; one going directly to the PA system/amp and one going into
the Live software.

But you should know that looping live on Live/laptop is not close to the
fluent way you get along with an Echoplex. I would say that if you can
"play" music with an Echoplex you have to "construct" music in Ableton
Live.
And you can not overdub into a loop in Live, as you do with an Echoplex.
And
no reversed audio file playback in Live either (a cool Echoplex feature)

Advantages with Live compared to the EDP are that you can run many parallel
tracks/loops and easily save a session/gig to the hard drive. If you are
running Live in "record mode" not only your on-the-spot played live loops
will be recorded but also the "live mixing" aspect of your gig. Like if you
do cross fades between groups of tracks/loops or if you enable/mute effects
at certain parts of the show. Well, even if you manipulate a loop it will
be
recorded the way you did it (thinking about stuff like changing the loop
length to create poly rhythms or re-pitching loops on the fly).

Best wishes

Per Boysen
--
www.boysen.se