The PiNG presents ARC, Alan Bloor + Anne Sulikowski with General Chaos Visuals

THE AMBiENT PiNG   http://www.theambientping.com
Free - Every Tuesday Night - doors open at 9pm - 1st set at 9:30
  @ club nia / C'est What - 19 Church St. at Front St. - Toronto
         3 blocks east of the Union Station subway.
         map - http://www.cestwhat.com/map.html

This Tuesday April 27th - ARC, Alan Bloor (Pholde)
    and Anne Sulikowski with General Chaos Visuals

An evening of tribal rhythms, synth & metal ambience creating
haunting soundscapes featuring collective improvisation by
ARC, Alan Bloor (Pholde) & Anne Sulikowski illuminated by
General Chaos Visuals. http://www.generalchaosvisuals.com

ARC make spontaneity their credo, embracing improvisational
sounds, incorporating elements of experimental/noise/collage,
ambient/eastern-drones, & poly-rhythmic/tribal-esque percussion.
The core is a trio of Aidan Baker (guitars, woodwinds, loops),
Richard Baker (drums, percussion, guitar), & Christopher Kukiel
(percussion). http://fade.to/arc

Alan Bloor (aka Pholde and Knurl) will be playing amplified
metal sound sculptures that he creates from found objects.
http://www.pholde.com

Queen of the robots at Worthy Records, Anne Sulikowski is
also the motor or a cog in: Building Castles out of Matchsticks,
Psychosomatic Climax Machine, Films, Phases, Expswy,
Proximal:Distal & a Pretty Sonic. http://www.worthyrecords.com

This is the release event for a new collaborative album by
ARC and Pholde titled "Eyes in the Back of Our Heads"
(recorded at their PiNG performance in August 2003)
which is being released on Anne's Worthy Records label.

Between Sets CD - "The White Arcades" by Harold Budd
Haunting and beautiful keyboard works by one of the defining
artists of ambient music. This CD includes synthesizers
as well as Budd's signature piano atmospherics.
http://www.newalbion.com/artists/buddh/

Coming Tuesday May 4th 2004 . RADiO iN AMBiENCE Part 1
featuring Allison Cameron, James Bailey & Michael Waterman

rik maclean's *ping things* CD Reviews

"A Distant Signal" by Alpha Wave Movement

"A Distant Signal" by Alpha Wave Movement perfectly
captures the wonder and mysteries of the cosmos, but
unlike  most space music which suggests travel and
exploration beyond the stars, AWM has created a disc
that pays tribute to the inspiration that space brings.
Rather than exploring space itself, "A Distant Signal"
seems to explore our own perceptions of the cosmos.

With track one "Mapping the Heavens" our curiosity is
piqued with a simple question asked to open our minds
to the possibilities of life on other planets. Lush synth
tones caress the senses, a feeling of movement, the
slow passage of time.

The mood builds in track two, "Distant Signals", where the
sounds of beautiful, thick pads pass through the soundfield
like comets in the night sky sending obscure signals to us
in unspoken languages.  Soon a sensuous groove draws
us in and we find ourselves surrounded by alien voices.
Quite beautiful.

"Liquid Cosmos" slows the tone but continues to draw us
deep into the mysteries of the stars, a beguiling arpegio
playing in the distance, a wash of synth, and the
occasional chime. A truly breathtaking track.

In track five, "Outward Bound", tones slowly build up from
seeming nothingness until they achieve a level of clarity
and focus, a slight groove taking shape and complexity
much like our own understanding of the heavens has grown
with further study. Marvelous work.

Skip ahead to "Portal Full of Stars" which begins with a
subtle drone and grows from there. Low deep tones slowly
inch the piece forward giving way to minimal piano work,
rising and falling sounds in the distance, each note another
star, another galaxy to explore.

"No Man's Land" suggests the isolation of space, the vast
openness, the ideas of distance so great that our minds can
only just begin to understand what they mean. Starting with
a sombre and sparse intro, the piece builds in complexity with
parts fading in and out throughout, a sense of understanding
taking shape that while we may gain a greater understanding
of the cosmos in our lifetime, there are still many lifetimes
worth of discoveries to be made. A truly beautiful track
capping a truly beautiful album.

With the release of "A Distant Signal" Alpha Wave Movement
has truly captured the feeling of looking to the sky and wondering
what's out there, and inspires us to continue looking in hopes
that one day we'll find out.  Surely this is space music at it's
finest, a disc with as many discoveries and delights as there
are stars in the sky...

rik maclean - rik@pingthings.com

Check out the ping things' newly expanded "features" section
http://www.pingthings.com/PTfeaturesNF.htm

Send an e-mail to pingthings-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
for updates on *all* the latest releases on sale at ping things

http://www.pingthings.com = ambient + electronic + chill things

The Ambient Ping presents free live performances by Toronto's
finest ambient, chillout and experimental music artists plus
performers from across the continent, every Tuesday at club nia
(aka C'est What) featuring a comfortable lower stage area, perfect
for attentive listening, plus a higher level with a bar, back room
and more seating that's great for conversation, good food and the
club's impressive beer, wine and whiskey selection. Musical treats
are on offer at the *ping things* ambient/experimental CD boutique.

Please forward this e-mail to any friends who may be interested
in live ambient, chillout and experimental music performances