Re: Freewheeling - yes.

Hi Per,

> Read a little more today and had a listen to the sound files. Great
>music!
> Seems like you have created an interesting little application there, Yon.
> Unfortunately I have no spare pc around for a linux install but that
>might
> change ;-)

Thanks for your feedback. I highly recommend a Linux install if you are
even slightly savvy. There are some very robust, stable, free audio tools
for linux-- and they plug together in a cooperative and modular way that
commercial software struggles to do. Your linux install can coexist
peacefully with another OS on the same computer. Give it a try.

I developed Freewheeling under a Debian Woody/Sid install. It was too
easy! I still find it hard to believe that my old desktop is now a robust
low-latency live looping tool. Just yesterday we had a family vocal jam
looping on 4 mics.

A good hub for Linux audio is:
http://www.linux-sound.org/

A good Linux distribution for audio that is closer to plug n play- is:
http://www.demudi.org/

The Demudi project has recently released a Live distribution, which means
you should be able to burn a CD of it and boot directly into a
low-latency-enabled audio workstation-- from CD-- without installation on
your HD. I haven't tried it myself, but Woooooooooo!

Also,

If you look around, you should be able to find more information on running
Linux under Mac. From others reports, it seems possible, including
low-latency audio.

As it is, Freewheeling should run from any flavor of Linux. Red Hat,
Debian, Mandrake, etc.. Since I believe in accessibility, I would like to
make Freewheeling fully crossplatform for Mac and Windows. I'll be in
touch with the list if that materializes.

Blessings,
Jan P Mercury

> Which Linux build is to be recommended for Freewheeling?
> Last summer I was just up to installing the Debian build when my
>motherboard
> crapped out. Now I got a mobo but then the transformer crashed - I
>assumed.
> Bought a new transformer and the thing is still dead. So either the CPU
>is
> out or the new mobo.
>
> Does anyone know if Linux can be run successfully on apple hardware?
> Thinking about eventually using a PowrBook for a second Linux bootable
> partition, beside OS X.

Graffiti.net free e-mail @ www.graffiti.net
Check out our value-added Premium features, such as an extra 20MB for just
US$9.95 per year!