categorization of music

Sounds like we’re not the only ones wrestling with categorization of music.  Is anyone familiar with the 2002 edition of Mutek which took place in Montreal?

Presented in the screening room of Montreal’s Goethe Institute, one of the main concerns in all four panels was the idea of categorization in the face of seemingly endless new genres and subgenres proliferating in new music. The difficulty in categorization is greatly enhanced when the practitioners of this music operate under multiple monikers, as nearly every act at Mutek this year illustrates. Unless a specialty store has its act together, good luck figuring out where to find all but the one solo album that bass guru and producer extraordinaire Bill Laswell has released under his own name. Laswell didn’t appear at Mutek, but his case is a good one. I am, of course, greatly anticipating his appearance at the Montreal Jazz Festival with Zakir Hussein under the guise of Table Beat Science, but that’s another story.

Categorization is discussed at least 7 more times:

http://www.horschamp.qc.ca/new_offscreen/mutek_pt1.html

Tom