Beginner Questions

    Hi there,
    I'm new to the list, so I hope you don't mind a few beginner questions!
    I'm an electric bassist, heavily influenced by Victor Wooten, Stanley Clarke, Michael Manring... music where the bass fills many roles.
    I've done a lot of four-track recordings where I can play many roles by myself and then play a melody or solo over the top.  Now I'm trying to expand so I can play these compositions live.
    My goal is to find something simple that functions in the live performance setting.  I've had bad luck with effects in the past because they weren't practical when I actually took them on stage, so I don't want to have a similar experience again!
    I've been looking at the Boomerang, because it seems best suited for what I want to do, which is perform live.  I've had some people suggest the Jam Man, and heard others say the Echoplex is the best tool for this sort of thing.
    I'm not looking for a ton of crazy effects or delay's or anything, I just want to loop grooves and chords, so I can play my own compositions live.
    Does anyone have any advice on what kind of looper would be best for this kind of thing, or pro's and con's for using one type as opposed to another?  I've read a lot on the website, but most of the technical stuff goes right over my head.
    Thanks!
    -Jonathan