re: signal path and asynchronous loops

responding to both the signal path thread and the
asynchronous loop thread....

i finally have my setup basically complete. it's a nice
example of a signal path that accomodates asynchronous
loops. so i thought i might share.

i run all my keyboards (ms2000, poly 6, microkorg, and
yamaha electric piano) into a mixer with at least 2
pre-fader aux sends (i use an allen & heath mixwizard). out
of this, i have the 2 aux sends feeding 2 effects paths...

aux 1 is for pedals. it goes AUX -> digitech whammy ->
moogerfooger filter -> guyatone MD2 delay -> boss tr-2
tremolo -> dl4 set as looper -> digitech XDD set as looper.

all the pedals are at arm level so i can tweak them, except
for the whammy and the moogerfooger expression pedal.

aux 2 is for rackmount gear. it goes AUX -> digitech
PDS8000 -> electrix mo-fx -> line 6 echo pro set as looper.

the loopers are the echo pro, the pds8000, the XDD, and the
DL4. so if i start at the ends of the chains and make
loops, working backwards, i can get 4 totally asynchronous
loops going, with a wide range of delay times. i guess i
could use the mofx, too, to get 5. plus the helicopter/UFO
landing sounds of the guyatone md2.

since the effects chains are pre-fader, i can drop the
clean signal out and have it pure effects (nice for that
100% filtered-whammied-tremolo thing). and both effects
chains run back into normal channels in the mixer. so i can
feed the pedal-chain signal into the rack-chain, or vice
versa. and i can fade out either loop-chain seamlessly by
bringing the respective channel down.

best of all, my band uses no amps-- my guitarist runs into
the mixer thru a line 6 POD, and my bassist goes in thru a
tech21 bass driver. which means i can drop them into the
loops or the effects at will. pretty cool, running the bass
player into a tremelo'd whammy against their consent, then
looping it........ also, my guitarist has 2 DL4's and a
whammy, for his own asynchronous loops....

so that's my setup for asynchronous loops. it's definitely
not 1 rack space though.

it's taken me a long time to get this setup to this point.
so i will take this moment to say THANK YOU to everyone who
has answered my inane questions. i have gotten
unmeasurable, invaluable advice from this list. my next
loop goes out to you guys and gals.

also, let me take this opportunity to say that the
moogerfooger filter rocks as a replacement for a wah pedal,
if you use a good expression pedal for the filter cutoff.
especially on clavinet sounds. also let me put in a plug
for a few other awesome pieces of gear: the digitech XDD
4-second looper, the godlyke powerall AC adapter, the
digitech PDS8000, and the allen & heath mix wizard are all
wonderful pieces of gear that i bow down to. a lot of these
pieces are things i asked for advice on here on the list.

in case you want to hear the setup in action, my band is
called "speedball." we don't have any mp3s up yet, but we
will soon at http://www.boringmusic.com ...

peace y'all..........

dylan