RE: Looper Purist??

I guess my question would be, what's the criteria for being a looper
purist? Someone whose performances are completely generated from looping
(rather than using a looping device only on a few songs for special
effects), or someone who uses a looper with minimal "gadgetry" in the
signal chain?  (Or a both)

I would fit into the former category, certainly not the latter! I run my
Taylor acoustic guitar into a Boss GT-3 multi-effects pedal, through the
Boomerang or RC20, and then into a mixer board with an Alesis Nanoverb
and Boss SX700 for delay and chorus.  I used this and the Digidesign
mBox to record my latest CD, which was all spontaneously improvised and
recorded in one take: http://www.krispenhartung.com/

I have two Echoplexes on the way (hopefully) to replace the Boomerang
and run everything in true stereo.

For types of music, I think you can do just about anything with looping.
I've done jazz, avant-garde, experimental, ambient, folk,
middle-eastern, etc. I prefer improvisational ambient and
avant-garde....especially the weird, atonal or "outside" stuff. :)

Cheers,

Kris