Re: Tactics for Circumventing Musical Ruts

On 2004-06-13, at 11.45, Andreas Willers wrote:

> Hi,
>
> yes, focussing on performance as opposed to chops is probably very
> important. Quote from Howard Roberts: "Don't go and learn your
> arpeggios, go
> and learn YOUR ARPEGGIO."
>
> I just saw Elliot Sharp perform solo acoustic guitar and, while being
> extremely limited as far as his playing technique goes, he still
> maintained
> an "attention curve" and a focus in his performance rather well - a
> music
> lesson.
>
> Regards, Andreas

Can't say how much I agree with Andreas post. Telling your story is
essential! And as with all kinds of storytelling the time line is very
important. You have to initially decide on a certain tempo (not the
"BPM" tempo but rather how often you introduce new themes into your
storyt) and then stick carefully to that tempo. If speeding or slowing
down the story it has to lead to some sort of conclusion. Not saying
that you have to know about the end station when beginning to slow down
the train - you can always make something up when you get there.

My trick to avoid ruts is to start at a different station and go to
different  place than usual. You can also chose to take the train
through a different landscape. It's very easy and anything actually
goes as long as you treat music as "a story" or "a journey". If you, or
a partner, should to play "the wrong" notes, it doesn't matter that
much if the movement is clear. A lot of great music is imperfect when
analyzed in detail... but - who cares about that?

All the best

Per Boysen
---
http://www.boysen.se