Re: Vox Tonelab for looping (reply from Vox about high freq issue)

I'm going to disagree with that sentiment a bit, as I spend a bit of time
on the Line 6 forums and see a pretty wide variety of complaints.

In defense of the manufacturer, there is so much variety in people's
tastes, input devices (guitars), output devices (direct recording, full
range, PA, guitar amps, heads, speaker configurations, etc., etc.).

How on earth the manufacturer can successfully model these analog
amplifiers and satisfy even the current customer base is beyond me!

And one man's treasure is another's poison.  For example, Mark posted that
there was a bunch of junk up in the upper frequencies that needed to be
shelved out.  But there have been long winded discussions on the Line 6
site regarding their POD XT regarding the same thing.  Some folks are even
getting down and doing spectral analysis and swearing that the 'stuff' in
the upper frequencies is what's making the amp models have their 'life'
and realism, even though it is typically beyond the guitar spectrum.

I don't get into it all that much....once it's gone into technical land,
my interest begins to wane.  But at the same time, there's folks
complaining that the models sound fizzy, brittle, or harsh.  Who's right?

I think you need to treat these new crop of modellers just like you would
treat an amplifier.  I'm more of a Fender guy and never was really
attracted to Marshall or Vox amps.  Doesn't mean that Marshall is stupid
because I don't particularly like their sound.  Others have done wonders
with them.

Now that I use a Line 6 Duoverb, I have access to about 16 different amps,
or combinations of two at a time.  How I tweak them to my ear is my doing.
 If I was playing a Tonelab, perhaps I wouldn't think there was any change
neccessary at all...and I may still not like it.  hehe.

Regardless, it seems from my experience that the biggest complaints about
these modellers are from the high gain patches.  Is there something about
the experience of hearing a high gain amp breathing through a speaker cab
struggling to move that much air that can't really be modelled at this
stage of technology?  something a bit more visceral?  hmmmm....

best,
rich
www.asopaque.com