Re: Live looping percussion - mic isolation

At 01:56 04/07/04, you wrote:
>Mic/Isolation Questions:
>- I suspect we need 1 or 2 hyper cardoid condenser mics to achieve maximum
>isolation?

condensers will have better isolation.
( the off-axis frequency response is smoother)

hyper-cardioid s OK, but remember there's some pickup
from directly behind the mic. It's not so easy to find the exact
spot for sound cancellation

A good cardioid will have v.useful rejection at the rear of the mic,
so if it can be pointed away from your cab, maybe that would
actually be the best option.

The absolute in separation is a figure-8 pattern,
if you have the patience to work it out and set it up.

Another idea is to have 2 identical mics out of phase, and pointed
in exactly the same direction.
Then only a sound near to one mic, but not the other should be
picked up.

>- Any recommendations on good but not-too-expensive condenser mics?

Oktava
the MK 012 set has a hyper-cardioid option if you want to try that

MK 102 is available v.cheap

andy butler