Re: OT: other recorder recommendations ?

On a related subject. I'm looking for a stereo recorder to use with my
rig when doing live gigs. Preferably something rackmountable or easily
hidden inside my relatively small rack. Preferably higher bit depth
than 16-bit so that I've got headroom to spare while playing. My
portable DAT fails on multiple fronts such as being somewhat bulky and
being only 16-bit and recording at 48kHz unless one feeds it digital
which is non-ideal when the target is CD output.

I'm seriously considering getting a MOTU 828mkII to replace my current
line mixer and it would be lovely if it had an option to just record to
a portable Firewire hard disk, but it doesn't.

My somewhat Rube Goldberg option would be something like an ART DI/O as
a front end to the DAT deck and figure out how to mount them both to
something at least moderately portable. That leaves me at 16-bit, but
my understanding is that the ART stuff does a reasonable job of
avoiding digital clipping.

Mark