RE: pedal steels

Louis, in case you'd be interested, I used to own one which I sold now,
but I still have Mel Bay's Pedal Steel Guitar Method by Dewitt Scott
which is a book + CD and would be pleased to sell it to you.
This book has some good beginner info about the instrument,
how to tune it, etc etc. It is based on the E9 chromatic tuning.

By the way, I also have the Oak Pedal Steel guitar book by Willie Winston
& Bill Keith
which is very complete and includes a mini 33 1/3 record with samples.

I think if you really want to have fun, a 2 neck instrument would
allow you to fiddle with the C6 tuning which sounds more like "swing";
a bit more of learning but a lot of extra harmonies to experience.

I think getting a new instrument, or at least a not too old one would be
better.
Mine was a 1984 ZB, and all the mechanics below were not so easy to adjust.

Also if I remember well, you are based in Europe so shipping of the books
should be easier and faster.

Feel free to contact me offline if you'd like more details.

all the best

Francois
        check my first CD on http://www.cdbaby.com/1000times