Re: EDP vs. Repeater

Hi Neil,

I use Live as master and slave my EDP by midi clock.... if that's what
you meant? Yes, it's running smoothly over here. I keep doing a lot of
multiply-rec's on the EDP to cut loop the length aggressively and it
stays in sync all the time. The challenge is to start the music all
ambient, with no beat, and then try to find the rhythm and the
downbeat. One trick is to overdub a drone pad in Augustus Loop and have
it return through Lives  Autofilter plug-in. Whenever you need to find
the beat you just have to increase a little resonance and listen to the
beat synced filter sweeps of the autofilter. In my recent FCB set-up I
only use three loop lengths, plus a triad option, for Augustus. If my
memory serves me right it's one bar, two bars and four bars. So it's
easy to get over from non-groove wishy-washy to a defined beat, with
Augustus. Then, when the beat is defined I either record the first EDP
loop in sync, or if I have already started an EDP loop that might now
be of an odd lengths I do the rec-rec trick or multyply-rec to line it
up.

> What does Augustus Loop give you that you can't get just recording into
> Live as a clip?

No 1: "Overdub layering into a loop".
And it also has this "inertia"  when changing pitch, length or
direction (reverse loop). It doesn't catch up right away, it slows down
or speeds up, maybe misses the addressed speed a bit and goes back to
lock up. I like to loop live with a bunch of organic loops that I
change all the time. This can be done with Augustus but is not possible
in Live. In live you have to fix a loop and leave it playing back over
and over sounding almost the same (except for modulating plug-ins
eventually slapped over the channel).

Another thing Augustus gives, that Live doesn't, is some wonderfully
unpredictable stuff you get when putting a loop into reverse mode and
back, pitching it between -12, +-0 and +12. If you layer stuff when
down at -12 and then go directly to +12 you will get some two octave
high chatter-flutter. These manoeuvres seem to mess up fragments of
audio still hoovering in RAM, and when going into reverse mode the loop
length increases dramatically and all weird audio fragments appears
right from nowhere in an unpredictable manners. Well, maybe it's really
not so unpredictable, but at least I have not yet figured out exactly
what is going on. But it sounds cool and I'm doing it all the time ;-)

I tend to use LIve as a mixer and patchbay and very rarely record as a
clip in Live. Might be if I need a tight bassline. Then I record into a
live clip on a session view channel already prepared with a compressor
for bass, and tune the clip down one octave. I use to play in a way
that will make the bassline work also re-pitched, for use with other
chords/harmonies. I hate when I have to look at the computer screen so
I just record the bassline, turn to the laptop and put the clip into
legato mode, tune it down one octave and copy it to a couple of scenes
on the same track. Then I re-pitch some of the clips to give future
options for building harmonies around them. By pressing foot pads to
change scene in Live I can then recall those differently pitched
basslines while improvising. It's a bit uncomfortable but if you load
up with many basslines clips in Live you might not have to turn at the
laptop again  during that gig.

All the best

Per
---