From: implode7@comcast.net [mailto:implode7@comcast.net]
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2004 5:30 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: RE: Musicians friend Price politics

I don't think that there is any doubt that supply and demand is an
explanation of the price hike. On the other hand, if you think about it,
responding to the 'law' of supply and demand with outrageously high prices
isn't necessarily ethical. In this case, prices 'in general' weren't going
up - one store raised their prices voluntarily because they thought people
would pay it if they needed this piece of equipment. Somewhat analogous, I
think, to someone in a disaster zone selling a container of water for $25.
Supply and demand, yes, but not ethical.

        > I agree.
        >
        > Msottilaro was just yanking the poster's chain when he responded
(I laughed
        > when I read it). He's right; nobody should be shocked by
capitalism in a
        > capitalist society! ;)))
        >
        > On the other hand you're right too. Folks on the Looper's Delight
list are
        > slightly more informed than the general pub regarding EDP
availability and
        > issues surrounding its scarcity. The $200 hike just smells to
high
heaven.

        > But who am I to talk? I just willingly paid a big wad of moo for
an EMU
        > MP-7 from an online retailer. I knew full well that the
higher-than-normal
        > tag was because they knew they were sitting on the last several
of
these (in
        > A-stock). So my "shock" regarding the EDP hike is a bit misplaced
if not
        > self-right! eous. But still rubs me the wrong way.

Is