programs like ACID for Mac Os 9

Mark is spot on about earlier versions of Ableton's Live being as closely
analagous to Acid as anything you'll find for
Os 9 or X, for that matter.

As much in love with ACID as I am,  Ableton's is rapidly outstripping it as
a program, especially with
there new midi sequencing ability and VST support.  I don't have the bucks
for the upgrade yet, but I look forward to
getting 4.0.   There are several artists on Loopers Delight who have it by
now, prominently among them,  Per Boysen, I imagine.

I think Cycling 74's RADIAL is a really interesting program.   Invented by
musical rennaisance programmer/recording artist
JHNO it uses a multiple simultaneous looping paradigm that allows for some
interesting justtapositions of loops that go at different speeds and cycle
lengths.

It is so different from Acid, however , that I don't think it is a good
analagous solution for Acid.
Acid is really more like a cross between a looping program and an audio
program (like the audio recording
parts of Cubase, Sonar, Logic, Digital Performer, et. al.).

I think Ableton is your best bet.