RE: the good old Mac/PC question (was: looping observation)

--- Lance Zechinato <LanceZechinato@verizon.net>
wrote:

> Next desktop for me will be G5 whenever I get around
> to it (not soon).  Next
> notebook is either TabletPC or a G4, prolly G4.

As a Mac owner, I would recommend skipping the current
Mac laptops if getting one is not a priority.  The
fastest Powerbook G4 still has a 167Mhz bus.  Your bus
speed affects overall performance because that is
where communication takes place between the CPU and
other components (USB ports, Firewire ports - ie where
your audio interface is plugged in, etc.) By
comparison, current Windows XP laptops have anywhere
from 400Mhz to 1600Mhz buses.

The G5 desktops have much more respectable bus speeds
(900Mhz or more).  Naturally, I don't expect the G5
architecture to appear in laptop form anytime soon or
for cheap.  Still I'd rather wait and save up for one
of those.