Re: Comparison of some looping pedals

At 10:26 AM 8/5/2004, Kevin wrote:
>   I've only
>used the Boss RC-20, which was so-so.  I had to really drop the boot
>on it to get either switch to go, and the whole 'the first loop stays
>just as loud as you add more loops' thing kinda turned me off.

you need feedback control!

>Also,
>it seemed that you could only overdub a loop that was the same length
>as the first loop.  I'm not sure if this is common with all pedals,
>but I would think this would hamper some people.  What I mean is I
>can't record a 2 measure beat, than say a 4 measure bass riff, etc.
>If I loop something for 2 measures, the rest of the overdubs I put on
>it will have to be 2 measures as well, right?  I'd be interested to
>know which pedals do this and which don't :-)

I don't think there are any pedals that do that. The Gibson Echoplex does
it easily with the multiply function. The Repeater also has a multiply
function, but its version of multiply is less flexible and not so
intuitive
to use live.

>I know Keller Williams uses a Jam Man, which I found odd because I
>didn't read very many positive reviews about them.

Keller actually uses Echoplexes now.

>So, my problem is which of these to buy.  Like I said, I've only tried
>the RC-20, so I really can't compare them.  I don't plan to use more
>than one instrument live (for now), but I may use more at
>home/recording/etc.  I'd like to stay around or under $200US, but
>that's just a preference.

At that price you are only going to get very simple loopers with many
limitations, and none of them will do the functions you are looking for.

kim