Re: Using pre-recorded material in performance

On 2004-08-08, at 04.41, Jeff Shirkey wrote:

> I sent a message to another list on this very question (about using
> backing tracks live), so I might as well see if anyone else can help
> me out here too. I have a Powerbook G4, DP 4 and MOTU 828, Reason, a
> Yamaha Motif keyboard/sequencer, and a pretty decent sized rack full
> of guitar gear + a Ground Control Pro to control it all with.
>
> My question: What's the best way to go about making my backing tracks
> and then triggering them to stop/start given this set up?

With Ableton Live you can trig clips of any length from midi foot
pedals, midi keyboard or the computer keyboard. Triggering can be set
to happen on next 1 bar, 2 bar etc (action quantize). Live can be tempo
tapped if needed, but I have not tried this out personally so please
download the free demo and check it out if you plan to use it that way.
Long files can be prepared in Live for perfect time-stretching during
tempo changes. You simply add a "time warp mark" for every second
measure. This tempo reference date is save in a complementary file and
will be available by Live even if you open the audio track in a
different song document.

Well, I think I'll stop here... ;-)  Live 4 is an awesome software. Ty
it out, there is a free demo available. Read the PDF manual and see if
it matches your needs.

All the best

Per Boysen
---