Live 4, PC/Mac (was: Re: Kid Beyond)

On 2004-08-08, at 02.44, Andrew Chaikin wrote:

> My setup is: Ableton Live running on a Sony Vaio,
> M-Audio Firewire 410, Ground Control Pro foot
> controller, talking to a little utility called MIDI
> Translator (www.bome.com) that lets each button
> on the GCP send multiple keystroke commands to
> Live.

Hi Andrew,

MIDI Translator seems great! I'm looking for a similar application for
OS X. Any hints?
(have tried ControlAid but it's not what I'm looking for)

> flexibility that Live allows, so I'm hoping Augustus
> Loop comes out for Windows soon.

Lexicon PSP 42 is available as VST for both Windows and Mac. It has
"freeze loop" and "half/double speed" like Augustus but it has no
"reverse loop" function. The PSP uses a little more CPU than Augustus
on a Mac. On PC the PSP 42 uses a little more CPU than Live's built in
delays.

> So, Live users: I've heard that a good PC laptop
> will trounce a good Mac laptop when running Live --
> allowing you more simultaneous tracks and effects
> before becoming hopelessly confused. Thoughts
> on this?

That seems to be true. If you need as much tracks and effects you can
get, PC is the way to go with Live. Mac gains about 30 percent CPU
efficiency in Live 4 compared to Live 3 but can still not compete with
PC in raw CPU power for Live (will probably change when powerbook
laptops with G5 processors becomes available). What I like with mac is
the applications available for OSX; Numerology, Logic and Augustus
Loop.

For reference, here are some CPU facts of my 1,25 MHz Powerbook: Live 4
craves 50 percent CPU power when running 3 Augustus Loop tracks (for
overdub loop layering), 1 MIDI track with a drum sampler (+ midi pedal
controlled random midi filters), 2 live input tracks (instrument/mic
direct + Echoplex loops), 2 audio tracks (for recording Augustus loops
+ live playing as Live clip loops) and finally one reverb set to the
highest definition. All tracks, except the live inputs, have some Live
4 effect added, like the Autofilter or the three band DJ filter. On top
of this 3 to 5 more effects are usually active (Hematohm, Ohmboyz)

All the best

Per Boysen
---
http://www.boysen.se