RE: Using pre-recorded material in p

>> Professionality and fulfilling different people's expectations

Like I said (or at least meant) in an earlier cryptic post, I really think
it's all in the delivery and to what level the artist has mastered his or
her craft.  If an artist can take an audience into the zone I think that's
quite an accomplishment no matter how it was achieved.  But if the audience
feels mislead in some way it's over, so keeping it real is important.

I'd have to agree that the more "live" a thing can be the more alive it
will
feel.  Your comment about Beck seemed like a good example of "not alive".
Maybe it was a bad night for him like you said.  I never got to see The
Propellerheads perform live (Alex Gifford & Will White), but apparently
they
used a lot of pre-recorded loops.  They spun acetate recordings of their
own
playing (drums, bass, B3, Novation) and switched back and forth between
instruments and DJing.  I read that it was intense to watch and very
entertaining.  They're both exceptional musicians anyway, but to pull that
off smoothly and still be entertaining is wild.  Their
"decksandrumsandrockandroll" album always sounded organic to me even though
it's constructed of tons of loops of their own playing... no sequencing,
just loops them playing their own instruments plus realtime material on
top.
But it's thick and intense, and hard to drive the speed limit when
listening
in the car.