The PiNG presents dreamSTATE with Sylken

This is it! THE AMBiENT PiNG's FiFTH ANNiVERSARY SHOW
and our Very Last Show at club nia / C'est What! I hope you
all can make it out to say Good-bye with us to this wonderful
room and the wonderful people who have served us so well
since dreamSTATE played the 1st show here April 24th 2001.

Onwards... The PiNG will be closed for the rest of August, then
will reopen at the Gladstone Hotel Ballroom on September 7th.
I'll send you all the details the week before. Hope to see you
this Tuesday & we'll try to chill you out for the next few weeks...
Love + Peace ~ Scott M2, Jamie Todd & rik maclean

THE AMBiENT PiNG   http://www.theambientping.com
       Free - Doors open at 9pm - 1st set at 9:30
@ club nia / C'est What - 19 Church St. at Front St. - Toronto
         3 blocks east of the Union Station subway.
         map - http://www.cestwhat.com/map.html

This Tuesday August 17th - dreamSTATE with Sylken

It's THE AMBiENT PiNG's 5th ANNiVERSARY and Scott M2
and Jamie Todd of dreamSTATE are celebrating by reuniting
with their old friend Eric Hopper of Sylken. The 3 artists spent
many years improvising electronic music together in the late
80s and 90s as Radio Silence - developing the skills, intuition
and trust they rely upon to this day. From deep ambience to
throbbing pulsations and interlocking sequences, dS + Sylken
are planning a special sonic voyage on this final trip at club nia.
General Chaos, dreamSTATE's fave ambient visualists, will be
weaving their unique swirling galaxies of light to take us out...
http://www.dreamstate.to     http://www.sylken.ca
http://www.generalchaosvisuals.com

Between Sets CD - "The Equatorial Stars" by Fripp & Eno
Yes, it has arrived, and just as we always open each new
home for the PiNG by playing Eno's "Music For Airports",
we'll close our residency at club nia featuring this brand new
release from loopy ambient pioneers Robert Fripp & Brian Eno.
http://www.disciplineglobalmobile.com/order/

* August 24th & 31st - The PiNG will be Closed for our move to
  The Gladstone Hotel Ballroom - 1214 Queen Street West
  (which is closed for renovations during August)
  http://www.gladstonehotel.com

Coming September 7th to the PiNG at the Gladstone Hotel
   Arms Full of Sound  http://www.phpro.info/afos/main.html

rik maclean's *ping things* CD Reviews

"Pieces of a Larger Experiment" by Arms Full of Sound

Paul Needler of Arms Full of Sound revels in the joy of discovery
during "Pieces of a Larger Experiment". Using a collection of
analog and digital equipment, Paul has created a series of live
improvised pieces which are presented here in edited forms
ranging from expansive moods to playful shorter snippets of
a larger whole.

Opening with the swirling Cindra Morgan, Paul offers up a lush
work of sweeping pads and rich tones. A majestic entry to the
work at hand, closing with a delicate almost lullaby quality.

Track three, Massive Synth, lives up to it's name filled with
swirling tones and bass-driven melodies. Well suited for
mind expansion and chillaxin'

Tracks four through six are a triptych considerably shorter
pieces, much like glimpses of scenery seen through the windows
of a fast moving train, but despite their length (or lack thereof),
they exist as complete works in and of themselves. Very effective.

Haunting returns to the longer form, built around a simple yet
engaging melody, winding, twisting, spiralling around an ideal,
a truth. Splendid.

Stranger Part 2 brings to mind some of the claustrophobia and
paranoia of early Gary Numan. Washes of synth and a sparse
drum beat seem to echo the sound of rain falling on dark alleys
in alien cities.  This is a track I'd definately like to hear more from...

Hipnosis 2 closes the disc, a quiet, minimal track that plays
on the edge of the senses. A simple yet very effective closer
to an inspired collection of songs.

Overall, "Pieces of a Larger Experiment" is an excellent collection
of work. While some would end up creating a disjointed travelogue
using the same idea of edited parts, Paul instead creates a
kaleidoscopic view of everchanging terrain. Recommended.

rik maclean - rik@pingthings.com

http://www.pingthings.com = ambient + electronic + chill things

Send an e-mail to pingthings-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
for updates on *all* the latest releases on sale at ping things

THE AMBiENT PiNG presents free live performances by Toronto's
finest ambient, chillout and experimental music artists plus
performers from across the continent, every Tuesday evening.

* After the final show at C'est What on August 17th, the PiNG will
be closed for 2 weeks & will start a new residency at the Ballroom
in the Gladstone Hotel (1214 Queen Street West at Gladstone)
beginning Tuesday, September 7th. http://www.gladstonehotel.com

Please forward this e-mail to any friends who may be interested
in live ambient, chillout and experimental music performances