decent drum machine hardware

I think I may have posted this before, but I think one of the cheapest
hardware solutions
for a drum machine (if you happen to own a sampler) is to buy a used or new
Alesis SR-16 drum machine (which has the most antiquated drum sounds of
all
the machines
currently available new) and use it to trigger your own sounds from a
sampler.

Drum machines are almost invariably closed architecture affairs and the
fact
of the matter is that
drum sounds go in and out of style (or we just get sick of them).

The SR-16 has good MIDI implemenation; is really easy to program and with
little effects processing
you can even get the late eighties drum sounds to sound good if you don't
want to use a sampler.

Speaking of that devil,  my wife is very fond of using some of my really
old
analogue drum machines and then
putting them through different stomp box pedals.  It's amazing how fresh
drum and percussion sounds sound
when put through some flanging and distortion and chorus, etc, not to
mention some of the wilder sounding rack mounted
DSP boxes out there today.

Heck, any drum machine connected to something like the Alesis INEKO can
sound really fresh and innovative.
Besides,  it gets boring to me to hear stock drum machine sounds, even if
they are cutting edge in terms of style.
Throw something through the random filter patch on those pricey Lexicon
units and you are really humming.

Just my 4 cents.