Re: effects for drums (decent drum machine hardware)

At 07:24 AM 9/18/2004, Rainer Thelonius Balthasar Straschill wrote:

>Another recommendation is to use drum machines with vocoders.

Here's another trick that's somewhat similar (but not exactly): drum
machines with gates.

Take a drum machine with individual audio outs, and one of those cheap
multi-gates in a single rack space (we used to use an old TR-707 with a
Furman Quad-Gate, but there are a lot of combinations out there).  Plug
the
individual outs from the drum machine into the *sidechain* inputs of the
multi-gate.  Now, whenever a drum assigned to a particular output hits, it
will trigger the gate it's hooked up to.

Run completely different types of sound content into each of the audio
inputs of the multi-gate, and adjust the release parameter to taste.  I've
found that sustained sounds that shift regularly (like synth pads and
sequences), or sound streams (like news broadcasts or any other found
sound
recording) work pretty well.

Hit 'play' on the drum box and futz with the patterns & tempo.  Turn on a
recorder, and you're ready to send a demo into Warp.  ;)

         --m.

_____
"i want to reach my hand into the dark and *feel* what reaches back"
                                                 -recoil