Re: Using Jazz Standards to Get Into a Venue for Looping

----- Original Message -----
From: "Krispen Hartung" <info@krispenhartung.com>
To: <loopers-delight@loopers-delight.com>
Sent: Sunday, September 19, 2004 8:34 PM
Subject: RE: Using Jazz Standards to Get Into a Venue for Looping

> main point, and also looking for ways to circumvent this trend.  I can
> and have used the EDPs or the Boomerang to play standard jazz, but it is
> very difficult to pull off with most standards, because the heads
> (melody lines) are 16 to 32 measures long.  It's easy with something
> like All Blues. Has anyone played and looped the changes for "Stella by
> Starlight," and played the head and solo over the loop?

Yeah, this is one of the tunes I have worked up. The only thing I can't do
is
play the pickups on the melody at the beginning, because I have to finish
recording my octave-divided bass and drums before beat 1, then quickly hit
the
Record pedal, flip the
switch on the guitar to "Guitar mode", and start playing the melody a
little
late. Not easy, but it can be done with practice. Tunes with a melody that
starts before 1 are kind of a problem. You either start the melody a litte
bit
late, or come up with somet BS to play for a full chorus before it comes
around
again.

>That could take
> up to 2 minutes for a long ballad.

Yeah, on ballads there is a long delay before the medloy starts, but I
don't
think this is a showstopper. I like to do "My Foolish Heart".

> It gets really redundant after about
> 20 standards. I'd rather play traditional chord solo or play over
> sequences.  But again, I'm not disputing whether one can play jazz with
> looping technology....it's playing jazz, loops or no loops, to get into
> more mainstream venues in my locality, and then slipping in my more
> obscure compositions.
>
> K-

With my setup I hope it helps make it less monotonous that I have bass and
drums
sounds going before the melody starts. I hope...

I can make some mp3's if you wanna hear what this sounds like.

Mark Smart
http://www.marksmart.net/