Re: Using Jazz Standards to Get Into a Venue for Looping

As a solo looping acoustic guitarist, I've found that places with the
words "grill", "bar" or "tavern" don't seem interested in what I do,
whereas anywhere with "cafe", "coffee" or "tea" is interested.  The
feedback I've gotten from the booking agents at the former is that they
like my stuff, but they're looking for something with more "energy".  What
it seems to boil down to is you can not have drums or not have vocals, but
not both.  I don't advertise my stuff as featuring looping, even though
all of my pieces are built on echoplex loops, so as far as they're
concerned, I'm a "contemporary acoustic guitar insrumentalist".  For some
places, the looping is an attractive bonus, but by and large the subject
doesn't come up.

If you're looking for jazz gigs, I'd definitely recommend pulling out the
175 and lay down a backing track and bass line for whatever standard
you're doing on the EDP and then play solos on top of it.  I wouldn't
bother explaining the concept to the agent--just tell them you're doing a
Jim Hall/George Van Eps thing with standards, and see if they know enough
to ask you how you're pulling it off.  I suspect they won't, and when they
find out, they won't care.

I'd think that all the jazz-style bar/restaurant/hotel gigs would dig
that.  Dealing with one musician rather than a group is preferable for
most booking agents.  And you get to keep all the money.