Re: Eivind Aarset

On Sep 28, 2004, at 0:09, Tim Nelson wrote:

> Web searches have gotten me some general info but no
> specifics: do any of you know what gear Eivind Aarset
> uses in his looping rig?

As a matter of fact I just recently started to check out his music
(after being compared to him by some Norwegian musicians at a recent
festival I was playing) and I have not had a chance to by the records
yet, just downloaded some songs from the net. But I don't hear much
looping in there. A lot interesting use of beat matched delay and
filtering, though. I'm thinking about calling him up for an interview,
If I can get the guitar mag here to print it, and then I'll post any
eventual rig info to the list. Aarsets music is really nice! I can't
understand that I never got to check him out better after all this
years hearing him playing with Nils Petter Molvaer. Anyway, here's a
little gear talk I found on the net:

------------------------------------
"Carina: Your guitar-style is unique - how would you describe it
yourself? How dependent is what you play on the effects and the special
sound you use? What is the piece of equipment you wouldn't want to work
without?

  Einvind: My guitar-style - it is like a mixture of rock and improvised
music ... - Also I am listening to other instruments, not only
guitarplayers - that can be very helpful, too. I am very into sounds -
so maybe I am also quite influenced by keyboardplayers. Then, to be
compared to Miles Davis, maybe "Bitches Brew" is rather strange - also
very flattering. Although Miles has been a big influence on me I
wouldnīt dare to compare myself to him. Guitarists that influenced me
are Terje Rypdal - like most of the other northern guitarists of my
generation - David Thorn and of course Jimi Hendrix.

The effects and the special sounds are part of my instrument, because I
am working with some other things I use all the time. When you look at
me play, it can seem pretty strange, because sometimes I am not really
playing the guitar - just turning knobs. But I donīt think about it so
much, I just do it - because I have worked so long with these effects
that it is sort of intuitive, what I am doing.

  Which piece of equipment I wouldnīt want to be without? - Thatīs the
WahWah-Pedal, my Volume-Pedal and the Digital Delay, the DD5"

All the best

Per Boysen
---
http://www.boysen.se