The PiNG presents Söftware with Toastybird Visuals

This Tuesday will be a must for those of you who dig artists
playing large stacks of gear with hundreds of blinky lights
and a tangle of patch cables. Yes, Söftware is back...

THE AMBiENT PiNG   http://www.theambientping.com
Every Tuesday Night @ The Gladstone Hotel Ballroom
1214 Queen St. West (At the corner of Gladstone/Dufferin St.)
Doors open at 9pm - 1st set at 9:30 - PayWhatYouCan
http://www.gladstonehotel.com/MapQuest%20Maps%20map.htm

This Tuesday October 12th - Söftware with Toastybird Visuals

"This Söftware show is going to be a treat! Electronic coated
candy. We've got moogs, modulars, step sequencers, control
voltages, guitars, delays, loopers and video like we've never
had before. Its a delectable mix of sweet sounds: prog rock
meets jazz meets electronica. The smooth rhythmic
sequencers and hard-coated kraut rock inspired lead lines
makes Söftware a tasty treat for your musical pallet.
Toastybird will mix an exciting multi-coloured visual video
presentation to accent your sweet-toothed escapade
into this sonic sugarland."   http://techno-jazz.com

Between Sets CD - "Sculptor" by Sylken and Pholde
Sylken's synthesizers sweep across Pholde's soundscapes
wrung from bowed sound-sculptures of hardened steel.
Available @ http://www.pingthings.com/SYLKENsculptor.htm
http://www.sylken.ca     http://www.pholde.com

Coming Tuesday October 19th - AKUMU & Mara's Torment
http://www.spiderrecords.com/akumu/  http://www.marastorment.com

rik maclean's *ping things* CD Reviews

"Progression" by Munkie is a strong example of the chill genre,
a finely crafted blend of downtempo beats & deep atmospheres
with lush pads and bright melodies. Occasional vocal tracks
stand alongside intrumentals in a tasteful and appealing blend.

Opening with "Collision (Sunrise Mix)", we're treated to an
upbeat track filled with plucked guitar loops and uptempo
percussion. A lovely start to the disc suggesting an
optimism and positivity that will carry throughout.

"Arbitrary Love/Hate" is a blast of psychedelia amid a
constantly shifting backdrop of stop and go drum patterns
and choked guitar. Quite engaging this one.

"Shadows of Black" is a frantic bass heavy sweep through
angular pads and treated vocals. Totally cyber,
very Gibson-esque.

Skip ahead to the claustrophobic tones that open
"Ghosts in the Machine", where a dark and dreary intro
gives way to a percussion heavy track with percolating
melodies and rising sounds that ebb and flow throughout.
A fine example of cleverly executed IDM.

"Bright Rays of the Sun" uses a reggae flavor to propel
the piece forward, a summertime love song filled with
optimism and light.

"Going Home" is a light groove piece with wahwah guitar
and brushed drum beats that evoke a Hooverphonic type
vibe. Very nice work, very chilled.

Overall I think that "Progression" is a strong debut from
a talented new performer. I trust that we'll be hearing more
from them, and this is of course a good thing.

rik maclean - rik@pingthings.com

http://www.pingthings.com = ambient + electronic + chill things

Send an e-mail to pingthings-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
for updates on *all* the latest releases on sale at ping things

THE AMBiENT PiNG presents live performances by Toronto's
finest ambient, chillout and experimental music artists plus
performers from across the continent, every Tuesday evening
at the Ballroom in the Gladstone Hotel (1214 Queen Street West
at Gladstone/Dufferin St. - Both the Queen Streetcar and the
Dufferin Bus stop right at the hotel. http://www.gladstonehotel.com

Please forward this e-mail to any friends who may be interested
in live ambient, chillout and experimental music performances
or to any of your appropriate newsgroups. Thanks.

To unsubscribe - reply with 'unsubscribe' in the e-mail body.