Re: Looping with other musicians

On Oct 13, 2004, at 7:50 AM, Travis Hartnett wrote:

> Perhaps I missed it, but what exactly are you having problems with
> regarding the EDP?  Between the manual, the online FAQs and knowledge
> base here, I think there's a ready answer to most questions.

My problem is the free association and lack of organization of the
thing.  The language is secondary but it is a bit idiosyncratic of an
artist which makes Kim more respectable to me but not while I'm reading
the manual.

> Personally, I think the manual's pretty good.  It's a difficult
> machine to write a manual for because there's not one "right" way to
> use the EDP, so the "Here's how to do the basics section, now here's a
> list of all the functions--have fun" approach worked about as well as
> I could hope.  It's so deep that there's no way anyone's expected to
> buy one, read the manual from front to back and then understand
> everything.  It takes, literally, years to discover all the
> combinations of everything and what that implies musically.  The EDP
> is more like a musical instrument than a conventional rack-mounted
> effects unit in that respect.  The good news is that you don't have to
> know more than about 1% of what it can do to get rolling.

Yes, I understand that.  I also understand, and I've known this for a
long time, that the more canned the more dried of blood and guts.
That's my main area of inquiry into the whole looping thing.  What is
we're looking for as looping artists?  I've used terms like
masturbation and self aggrandizing and lumping myself into those
descriptions when I consider looping but I am an adult and use language
that may be a bit unnerving to those who are following some kind of
holy writ of looping that may unconsciously exist.

All I can say is that this is an extremely stimulating group of people
I'm meeting, coming from the classical guitar area, I am relieved to
talk to musicians and artists that have a forward vision of music and
sound world that is mostly lacking in the classical guitar.

Irreverence is just a personal characteristic of mine and perhaps my
generation.  I use irreverent language but revere creativity and
artistic honesty which I saw in abundance at the Y2K4 on past Sunday.

> TravisH
>
> On Oct 13, 2004, at 7:36 AM, Larry Cooperman wrote:
>
>> hard for me to say, I'm new to it and the manual is the bane of my
>> existence with the machines.

Larry Cooperman
New Millennium Guitar
http://www.newmillguitar.com