The PiNG presents Akumu & mara's torment with Bleep Visuals

THE AMBiENT PiNG   http://www.theambientping.com
Every Tuesday @ The Gladstone Hotel Ballroom (Toronto)
1214 Queen St. West (At the corner of Gladstone/Dufferin St.)
Doors open at 9pm - 1st set at 9:30 - PayWhatYouCan
http://www.gladstonehotel.com/MapQuest%20Maps%20map.htm

This Tuesday October 19th -
      Akumu and mara's torment with Bleep Visuals

mara's torment (aka metro starman) returns to the PiNG,
once again with a collection of works inspired by the usual
cat noises and subway cars. Bleep Visuals will illuminate.
http://www.marastorment.com

Dark ambiences. Shadowy beats. Haunting microscapes.
>From electronic artist and film composer Deane Hughes,
Akumu is an exploration of atmospheres, moods and rhythms.
http://www.spiderrecords.com/akumu/

Between Sets CD - "Deep Blue" by Wally Jericho
Wally Jericho paints a haunting waterscape created with
looped processed trumpet and deep electric bass. Recorded
live at THE AMBiENT PiNG on February 15th 2000.
http://www.wallyjericho.com

Coming Tuesday October 26th - spacenoiz & Wally Jericho
http://www.pingthings.com/SPACENOIZphoenix.htm
http://www.wallyjericho.com

rik maclean's *ping things* CD Reviews

"Inside the Hollow Realm" by Numina / Caul

It starts very quietly, a point of silence slowly drawing away
being replaced by gentle waves. And gradually, as you become
accustomed to your surroundings, you find yourself "Inside the
Hollow Realm". A new collaboration by Jesse Sola of Numina
and Brett Smith of Caul, "Inside the Hollow Realm" is an
inspired pairing that effectively blends the skills and talents
of both artists in such a way as to create something new.

Split into three sections of four tracks each, "Collapse of the
Spiral Spire", "The Molten Void" and "A Distant Past Fades",
the disc has a conceptual flavor to it, a sense of history
within. Images take form in the your mind's eye and then
pass from conciousness, leaving only a vague memory
of their existence.

The first segment "Collapse of the Spiral Spire" opens with
"The Wind Speaks", where minimalism and atmosphere
slowly give way to strong percussive forms. "Night Sky
Descends" passes through the senses like ravens in the
dark night sky. "The Gathering" is filled with the sound of
electric current fedback through arcane radio systems
which bleed into a progressively building drum pattern,
bringing to mind a circle, a community. Inspired.

Segment two, "The Molten Void", opens with the same sort
of growth from silence, a metallic ringing filling the space.
Treated guitar, or is it something else building in the darkness?
You can never really tell, images get distorted here and it
becomes difficult to trust our senses to describe what we see.
"Serpent Sounds" rolls with sleek tones, thin high sounds
that weave around you like, well, serpents. "A Brief Reprieve"
fills the space with wide open pads, a patch of light in the
otherwise dark depths. The reprieve is all too short though,
soon to be replaced by the lava like drones of "Molten Flow".

The last segment "A Distant Past Fades" begins with the
twinkling starlit patterns of "Aphasia", beautiful, striking,
dreamlike. "The Seer" is a study in slowly shifting tones,
a sense of mystery, secrets. "Withdrawn" builds in intensity,
pads woven through the soundfield like delicate spiderwebs
reflecting the light. And then it closes with "The Memories
Blend", a summation of all that we've heard, a sense of
completion that slowly wraps around itself until it gradually
fades. A true delight.

In the past I've made no secret of my appreciation for
Jesse Sola's work and I continue to be amazed at his ability
to create music that touches me so deeply. With this
collaboration his music is perfectly complimented and built
upon by Brett Smith and made even more beautiful as a result.
I strongly recomend this release to all of you and I eagerly look
forward to future collaborations between the two of them.

rik maclean - rik@pingthings.com

http://www.pingthings.com = ambient + electronic + chill things

Send an e-mail to pingthings-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
for updates on *all* the latest releases on sale at ping things

THE AMBiENT PiNG presents live performances by Toronto's
finest ambient, chillout and experimental music artists plus
performers from across the continent, every Tuesday evening
at the Ballroom in the Gladstone Hotel (1214 Queen Street West
at Gladstone/Dufferin St. - Both the Queen Streetcar and the
Dufferin Bus stop right at the hotel. http://www.gladstonehotel.com

Please forward this e-mail to any friends who may be interested
in live ambient, chillout and experimental music performances
or to any of your appropriate newsgroups. Thanks.

To unsubscribe - reply with 'unsubscribe' in the e-mail body.