Re: looping with other musicians

If you're creating rhythmic loops, either everyone follows the pulse of
the loops,  or you get a machine to stretch the loop as needed, or you
keep your loops short and with few layers so you can re-record on the
fly.

If you're playing with people who use terms like "selfish forced
mechanized looped groove", then I wouldn't spend much time with the
first approach.  I usually end up playing with people I like to play
with for various reasons totally independent of their acceptance or
ability to work with loops of any sort.  I don't have the luxury of
replacing someone who's not in line with my looping outlook (a very
small subset of my musical philosophy when playing in a non-solo
context).  So, if they click with loops, great, and if they don't I'm
not going to give them a Come To Jesus talk.

For me, much of the beauty of loops is the mechanized repetition.  You
can add and subtract to the groove, but having a steady pulse has its
own strong appeal.  The two ensemble situations I've been in where
looping worked really well were a drummerless trio with a dj/programmer
where everyone followed the forced mechanized groove loops in his
sequencer and with a particular drummer who absolutely loved to play
with a groove box handling the basic timekeeping role.  If everyone in
your band is comfortable with a click, the click vanishes and the
groove doesn't feel labored.

The second to last thing I want to do onstage is worry about when to
re-record a loop because the collective tempo has shifted.

TravisH