Healing thru improvisation

hi Matthias,

>does anyone know about Holotropic Breathing, Stan
>or Rebirthing? Music is important there, isnt it? Could looping help,
>or is it used somewhere in this context?

I love where your spirit is going with this! You have a remarkable vision
of
different contexts in which group improvisation and looping can be used.

>yes, specifically, as soon as I think  "this is great" (specially in
>the sense of:  "I am great"), its not any more

Your voice is among the many who say that we must become empty like a
hollow
bone. I've felt it, too, that when we have no agenda, no ego, we are
innocent
like a child, we are totally in it for the Great Mystery of the moment--
that's when we connect with the muse.

I totally support you in starting an improvisation group by the people for
the
people. It is making improvisation into a spiritual discipline, accessible
by
anyone. This is most emphatically my prayer, because I feel that
communities
can really be strengthened when we sing and dance together-- and we need to
invent our own voice, to find our own path into the whole.

>I established a free improvising group here in Salvador since
>February. The members keep changing exept me and my partner Danilo,
>who is rather into rhythm, while I rather care for tuning. We let it
>run. Most participants are not musician. the process even works when
>noone ever played music. The result is not pleasent, most of the
>time, but its very intense for the participants, and most time its
>not chaotic. Its amazing that even if you dont want, some
>organization always grows out of chaos! Its just a matter of time, or
>patience with the chaos. Once its runing, it goes on for 3 hours or
>more, and often though all kinds of styles including animal voices
>:-). When there are more educated musicians, sometimes it turns into
>barok poliphony and amazing a capella choirs. Very rarely we stop for
>a moment or I say something about the process. Recently I had good
>experiences when restarting with only voices and body sounds after
>the first instrumental part worked out. Kills shame...
>
>Its a big kick to see some shining eyes in the end of people saying:
>I thought I could not play music
>I play for many years but never felt this
>Its like brain washing
>
>I thought about inviting people of all over the world to participate.
>I just dont quite know yet how to organize...

Some friends agreed to have me facilitate singing circles in Calgary, and
we
have been holding Sunday gatherings with pot luck and improv. My experience
really echoes what you have felt down in Bahia. I feel a great nostalgia
for
those days when tribal peoples used voice as a way to gel community,
Nature,
and Spirit.

There is a man, David Hatfield, out of Vancouver, who hosts improvisational
singing circles. He has developed some techniques for developing core
musicality such as a sense of harmony and rhythm-- from within group
improv.
Google has cached a beautiful essay he wrote for the Unitarian Church. You
might find his tips useful in facilitating your own group.

Also, you mentioned Holotropic Breathing and looping. That would be a
fantastic experiment. Shamanic drumming, looping, holotropic breathing,
pranayama-- all seem to work in rhythmic ways to tune us in to the larger
rhythms of Life. I believe we are at a place now where we are breaking out
of
the production-consumption industrial model of music and about to return
to a
participation-community model. To me, that is when music becomes a social
tool.

So I support you in working with people over machines. As a Western man I
feel
a part of the collective gear fetish-- and how destructive it can be when
our
boys toys become more important than our friends and neighbours. I really
hope
that we will continue to learn how to work together and make our music
about
care taking this beautiful Nature we have inherited.

from the Heart,
Mercury