Matching overdub volumes on RC-20XL

Hi, I just bought a Boss/Roland RC-20XL.  It's a nice
unit with basic features, and 16 minutes of recording
time...

One thing I'm confused about, however --- and can't
find ANY discussion on in the manual or on Roland's
website --- is how to adjust the volume at which the
newly overdubbed "phrase" gets added to the mix.

You'd think it would just get added at whatever volume
you actually played it at! (i.e. the volume you just
heard it at when you played it...) But no, the volume
is generally lower upon playback, sometimes way lower.
  The volume of the "instrument I'm playing right now"
is adjusted with one knob, and the volume of the loop
is set by another...

Okay, case in point: the unit has some fun
pre-recorded loops set by the factory (some heavy
metal licks and some funk riffs).  I can play along
with these and hear myself fine while playing, but if
I try to overdub onto one of these tracks and add
something of my own to it, I cannot hear (or can
barely hear) my overdubbed playing in the mix.  What's
going on here?  And how do I adjust the mix?

(Presumably the pre-recorded tracks were recorded at
some amazingly high volume, but...if I can hear my
guitar while I'm playing, I ought to be able to hear
it once recorded...)

Thanks,
Scott