Re: Space Station Re: the finite nature of things

Just wanted to add my $.02 (or $250-300 as the market seems to be :)) for
the Spacer Station. Last summer I picked one up for my Guitar/Not Guitar
all Guitar Synth shows for a local festival.

IMO the pedal is built just fine. I haven't used it much but it traveled
well and worked flawlessly. I have had to tighten the screws on the rocker
pedal to make it a bit more usable but that's the only maintenence.

I too would prefer if it ran off a battery but it doesn't so what can you
do. The wall wart isn't that big so it's pretty practical to use among
other pedals with a bit of planning. I used two volume pedals, the Space
station, and a SKB pedal bag full of stomp boxes all into a DL4 delay (for
looping) which ran on it's own wall wart. one good multi-outlet strip and
some layout work and I was fine and not tripping over wires.

The Space Station has a few tricks but needs to be used sparingly IMO. The
strings settting is cool but not nearly as interesting as something like a
midi guitar triggering some analog pads or a Roland VG8 type thing. The
multitap arpeggiators or ring mods etc make good "werid noises" but as a
synth guitar player I have to say that gets old quick too if that's all
you're doing. So while it's got some great stuff in there it also run the
danger of being a Novelty" if you overdo it. Just IMO.

The best thing about the Space Station is that it's small and you *don't*
need a specific guitar or GKwhatever pickup system. Plug a hondo or $150
danelectro into the 1/4" and you're ready to rock (or Soar as the case may
be :)). There is NO tweaking on it whatsoever but at least you get the
exporessino pedal so you can do *some* sweeping, etc. With a bit of
practice and some basic composition skills anyone can make a good
"weird" guitar synth/noise type song and in my world that's a good thing
:)

Is it worth current market value (Seems t be about $200-$300 depending on
who's selling)? I'd say given what guitar things go for, yes. Anyone
remember the Korg G5 bass synth unit? Those sold for $99 too at one point
on blow out. In this day an age of Boutique $300 fuzz boxes the Space
staion offers something unique and compact. You can get similar effects
with a trashy Zoom 505 if you just want weird pitch shifting, delays'
etc. but the Space station goes the extra mile and again , it's all-in-one
nature makes it a cool box for someone looking for a compact bit o'
weirdness.

I don't use mine much at all these days but I keep it in it's box ready
for action. Given what it does and what it's worth I'd say it's either a
vintage $$ sell piece or a keeper.

HELP WANTED PRODUCTIONS - Http://www.HelpWantedProductions.com
"Bringing you the best in Organic Electronic music since we started..."

Home of the Unusual Instrument and Recording Gallery with pictures and
info of Tube recorders, Omnichords, weird guitars, Casios, and more.