Re: Space Station Re: the finite nature of things

On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 08:40:03AM -0400, Tim Bieniosek wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Timothy Mungenast wrote:
>
> > So is there anything out there that does the Space Station's string pad
> > thing?
>

> >From the "falling asteroids" mp3 it sounds like pitch shifting with
> feedback on a delay, so you get a cascading effect of rising tones.  I
>can
> get a similar sound from my korg ax1000g.  Correct me if I'm completely
> mishearing things.
>
> Now, what's a source for the lo-fi/atari noises?  I've gotten similar
> effects from mistracking octavers, but not reliably...

        Mostly the decimator/bit reduction sounds (preset 20 iirc).
Assuming we're talking about what I think your talking about ;->
Steve is also making some video game noises in there as well, so
it can be hard to tell whats what at times ;->

        The rising tones is mostly from what I was playing
(bowing a metal rod aginst the string and slowly sliding it
up and down the neck).

        The string swell sounds seem to be some variant of
"slow" effect + pitch shift + multi tap delay. The delay
is a little easier to hear when you quickly play something with
a lot of attack (and therefore, defeating the "slowgear"
style effect).

Adrian