Mellotron -

    I already know how mellotrons work . I've opened one up.You can think
of
it as a replay only sampler if you like,I wouldn;t argue,it's a reasonable
functional description,but I'm trying to explore the history and
development
of ideas and techniques ,your description doesn;t address the idea that
Shaeffer,the originator of looping directly influenced the development of
the mellotron. Also if you want to use strict definitions digital boxes
don't have loops in them either,and so aren't loopers.
  I've had correspondance w/ someone who knows Terry Riley and asked
him.Riley says he can't remember the name of the engineer,but that he was
employed by RTF .This is significant ,as RTF employed  Pierre Shaefer when
he did his looping experiments in the 40s. Alot of people assert that
everyone who that got their hands on a tape machine in the early 60s
looped
it,but there is pretty clear evidence showing that a single person
invented
it ,and that further developments spread from the RadioTelevision France
where he worked ,and had the first multitrack tape machines.