Re: Loopers-Delight-d Digest V04 #523

At 05:38 14/12/04, you wrote:
Hello folks -

After selling three pieces of gear on eBay in a record time for me of 30 minutes, I have some extra cash to blow on replacement gear. I already bought a Vortex and expression pedal the other day.   I am very interested in rackmount effect units that "radically" alter the tone of the guitar. Given that an Eventide or TC Electronics FireworX is not in my budget right now, I'm looking for the more affordable units, like the Vortex, etc.  I bought a Line 6 Pro filter unit several months ago (rackmount version), but the output on that unit was very squirrely and unpredictable for me.

The squirrely thing is only connected with the synth emulations (if I understand you correctly), and doesn't affect the filters.
I found that even the synth stuff is predictable if you play ultra clean, even though some notes would never sustain properly for long.
Putting the Filter Pro in front of the Vortex worked well.
Suggest you give it another try, (although it didn't end up in my rack)

Any other suggestions on units of this sort? I have one remaining slot left in my new 6 space rack!  The gap is killing me… :)

I know what you mean.
...and some sort of filter would seem an obvious choice
MAM RS3 Resonator is an LFO driven filter with envelope following.
MAM Warp 9 does bizarre synth-filtering with a very hard to use user interface.
..both those are available from Thoman a very reduced price.

Sherman Filterbank is more pricey, but probably worth it.

Someone else can talk about pitch shifters ( I don't like 'em)

Really though, I think the "stuff" you have there already will do the trick, it takes a lot of time and effort to master the Vortex and, but with the pedal and the dynamic response there's enough to keep you going for years.

My experience with trying to add a whole load of new effects was that the music took second place for a while, it wasn't till I restricted myself to just a EDPs and Vortex that the playing started to come together.
So maybe a space in the rack is a good thing :-)

andy butler