From: Per Boysen [mailto:per@boysen.se]
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2004 4:54 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: Looping on my mac

Hi All, first post to the list.

Anyone of you doing realtime looping on a Mac?
Since i cant seem to find any dedicated software: what software,
interfaces and (midi)/controllers are usable to get good realtime
looping from a laptop running OS X?
I suspect that CoreAudio is as realtime as it gets so it should by
far
be possible.

Thanks

Jan

Hi Jan,

I've been following this thread with interest, since I am a Mac looper
myself as well. As your question was not particularly specified you
received many answers addressing a broad span of live looping
techniques and strategies. All good advices has already been given, but
here are some additional short notes on priorities concerning
"ready-made" software (leaving out MAX/MSP):

1. If you want to record loops in parallel that keep going rock steady
and stay in sync - try Ableton Live. Record loops as "clips" on Live's
"tracks". Toggle your recorded clips from a midi foot pedal.

2. If you want to record loops of many overdubbed layers, that may also
swosh and wash - sometimes out of dead on beat sync - and if you want
to keep the option of getting experimental with changing the pitch or
even play melodies with the spinning loop - then loop in Augustus Loop.
Now, Augustus Loop is an AU plug-in for OS X, so you will need a host
application for it. Two good host applications are Live 4 and
Numerology. With Live you also get the option to mix your live looping
with "canned loops" (audio files). With Numerology you also get the
option to set up hairy step sequencers to control parameters of the
looping plug-in (like pitch, yes - this makes chord changes in live
looping an option) or just about any AU plug-in that you like sequenced
for sound design. This kind of "building your own looping effect
processor" (setting up beat synced pitch jumping, tremolo, filtering,
gating etc of different rhythmic patterns etc etc) is also possible in
Live, but the alternatives are more limited than with Numerology.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
---
http://www.looproom.com (international)