RE: Musicians Wanted

 I tend to perform solo or with my band at many venues where the music is
not why people are there. Musicians are 'trained' that if you play and you
finish, people are supposed to clap, right? If not, at least a few people
in
the audience either feel 'obligated' (that is what you are supposed to
do/that is what the performer expects) or they feel weird being the 'leader
of the clap' (that sounds obscene).

Being that the music is 'ambient' (not a category, but an adjective), I
skip
over this whole performer/audience obligation thingy and *never stop*.
Well,
at least till the set is over. Then I stop, and don't wait for applause, I
turn the equipment off. If people like it, they will buy a cd. Or come and
say Hi.  I know if I play badly, or if I am having a good night, and these
gigs don't lend themselves to this 'external validation' anyway. Most
musicians thrive on this, however, and maybe that is where the frustration
sets in- the 'look at me, even if I am not the reason you are here- LOOK AT
ME, DAMMIT! I am demanding some kind of acknowledgment that all this money
spent on all this equipment and time learning to use it and all those
scales
and did you here that solo in the 3rd song and man, am I cool! Don't you
understand what I am doing?? This is all live!! Sheesh!'

I am sure I have been there too, but it really sucks felling that way.
Interesting discussion.

Dave Eichenberger
http://www.hazardfactor.com