Holy crap

Hey all,

Stupid email server was down for 3 days.  Erg.

I'm not sure if I should apologize for starting a flame-war, or take
credit
for a few days of entertainment! :)

As I've told a few of you offlist, I appreciate all the comments.  ALL of
them.  Everybody has a different perspective and if I didn't want to hear
it, I would not have asked.  The reaction of "I didn't like this about it"
is better than no reaction at all.  No reaction means it had no effect,
and
we are going for effect, right?  Does it make you feel good?  scared?
annoyed?  did it do something?

A few comments on the comments.

Yes, it is a bit busy and doesn't fit into the 'ambient' mold.  I probably
shouldn't have used that term.  Ah well, live and learn. It is what it is.
It's experimental, it's improv, it noise, it's sound, it's playing with
the
tools.  It's throwing sound at the canvas and seeing what sticks.  My mom
said it was like Jackson Pollock's splatter paintings, only in sound.  I'm
not sure I'm confortable being compared to him, but hey, if she wants to
give me a complement, who am I to complain!

And yes to the preset/general midi feel to some of the sounds. Much of
what
I'm trying now is playing with the synths and effects and seeing what I
can
do with the tools at hand.  Presets are a place to start, and since I'm
using 10+ year old synths, those sounds are old hat to many of you.  On
the
other hand, I LIKE some of those presets!  In the same way I still love
the
sound of a Les Paul cranked straight through a Marshall.  ya know?

Kudo's to Kris for hitting the nail on the head as far as the inspiration
goes.  Much of the feel of what I've been trying to do lately revolves
around the passing of my grandfather who was a potter and abstract artist.
He also LOVED astronomy and so, I'm trying to bind those influences into
my
music.  He very much believed in breaking the rules when it came to art.
Ironic though, that he didn't like much music besides classical.  He
firmly
believed that the tools were merely a means to an end.  They are very
important in that they are necessary to create the art, but the point
isn't
the tool, it's the art.  He constantly experimented with clay, glaze,
color,
shape, texture.... For me, music is very much the same, we have to
experiment, absorb, listen, learn, read, play, all in order to be able to
create what we hear in our heads.  In the end it's all just vibrations. I
don't really care how I got there, as long as I got there and the trip was
interesting.  But, knowing how to use the tools I have is necessary in
being
able to get where I'm going.

Thanks again,
Tony