Re: people opinion of people

----- Original Message -----
From: "Travis Hartnett" <tiktok@sprintmail.com>

> Didn't the musician-who-was-criticized request "brutal honesty" in the
> feedback?

Yep, I did.  And that's what I expected.  I didn't take it as bad
criticism.
I look at it as another take on what I did.  I want to know how people
reacted to it.  Can I make it better, what did you like, what didn't you?
As I said before, no reaction means no interest.  Asking other musicians
for
critiques has different expectations from asking your mom, or a music
critic, or the dog.  I don't think we can really help making comments
about
how WE would make something different to please our own sensibilities.
Good
or bad, that is the way of it.  I asked loopers/ambient/soundscape artists
for their feelings about my loopy/soundscape art, and got what I expected.
Had I posted it to the mixmasters list where we talk about recording
techniques and mixing, I'd expected to have gotten reponses about how I
overdrove the input and cause clipping and distortion.

> When you ask for that from strangers, you might get something that's a
> little heavy on the "brutal" aspect, although I don't remember the
> response that triggered all this to having been brutal or cruel.  It may
> have been unfounded or inconsiderate, or it may have just been an honest
> opinion.  I haven't gotten the impression that the recipient is weeping
>in
> his room, forever scarred by what's been said.

Ha!  Not hardly. I'm my own worst critic.  I'm still perpetually
fascinated
that others like my work.

> When you decide to take your music out before the public, that's the
>risk
> you take.  Some people will tell you it sucks and that you suck, some
>will
> jeer openly or write Pitchfork-eque review and some may be so put off by
> it they won't even say anything for seven months.  As a public musician
> one needs to have thicker skin then the average person. Much thicker.
>If
> I had a nickel for every demo or booking letter that I've sent out which
> never garnered any response despite multiple follow ups, I'd be a rich
> man.

I've played music (or well, at least attempted) since I was 8.  Yeah,
thick
skin comes with the territory.  I'm still nervous about putting myself up
for discussion, but how else will I get feedback?  I do find the variety
of
reactions really interesting.  It just shows the range of interests of the
people in the group.

And I will happily throw more stuff out there for anybody to listen to and
comment on.

Tony