Re: When does it end?

I had an experience this weekend that I think sums up the dilemma
perfectly.

I just reconfigured my rig and put a VF-1 into the mix and was getting
set to give it a test run, see how my configurations had worked (stereo
output split to a DL4 and a DD20 with their stereo outputs split to two
sets of inputs on the mixer.  Alt send 3-4 on the mixer sent out to the
VF-1 which then returns to normal inputs in the mixer and so on.  Seems
like a convoluted mess but it does work).  Anyway, I'm getting ready to
play after finally getting everything plugged in and configured and I
couldn't find a chord to plug the guitar into the whole thing.

I was greatly amused by this.

Kevin

> I'm curious to hear if anyone else has the same bittersweet dilemma:
> Revolving Gear Syndrome.
>
> On one hand, it would be really nice to just have a set-up, and stick
> with it. I think of all the additional time and energy I could be
> spending on playing, if I could just leave my rig alone.
>
> On the other hand, I find a lot of inspiration in the gear itself. New
> sounds have an affect on my playing, and generate new ideas.
>       It's also pretty fun to troubleshoot the inevitable issues that
>arise
> from adding a new device. Where will it work best in the signal path?
> Series or Parallel? Does this device require another device in order to
> get the most out of it? Can I figure out a way to get the same sound
> with the stuff I've already got? Will it be the straw that breaks my
> back?  etc. These questions require a lot of thought, sometimes. I
> happen to like thinking, so it's all good — but I'd also like to read a
> good book, you know?

How amazing, how amazing!
Hard to comprehend that
Nonsentient beings expound Dharma.