RE: ending ambient pieces when playing LIVE shows

This reminds me of a very bizarre jazz gig I did one time. It was for a
major corporation's service awards banquet, for about 300-500 people. It
was me on guitar, a trumpet player, drums, and bass...and they paid us
big bucks to play jazz standards during cocktail hour.  We were setup in
an area outside the main banquet room, and folks were milling around,
drinking wine, eating appetizers, etc....pretty much the standard jazz
gig of Real Book tunes....yawn. The catch is that after the cocktail
hour, everyone moved into the main banquet room and they wanted us to
continue playing throughout the duration of the main ceremonies. We
didn't have time to re-set up. So, they put a few ambient mics in front
of us, shut the main doors, and piped our tunes into the speakers of the
banquet hall.  It was the most bizarre experience. We were all alone in
that middle area, outside of closed doors, playing tunes by ourselves.
We couldn't talk much, because everything we were doing was coming
through the speakers.  I'll never forget that. My guess is that inside
the banquet room, it sounded like a live jazz CD playing though the
speakers in the background.  Point being, it was like the true
background music gig, where the audience doesn't even need to see you
play. We could have played a live jazz CD through our PA, sat on the
couches, and drank wine the whole time, and no one would have known the
difference.  But at $100 an hour, who the hell is going to complain....

Krispen Hartung
http://www.krispenhartung.com
info@krispenhartung.com
View improvisational / real-time looping videos:
http://www.myweb.cableone.net/chagstrom2/music/kris-hartung/catalogue.ht
m#videos
Interactive tour of my gear: http://www.boisemusicians.com/gear.htm