Re: SooperLooper and sync with Live 4...

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 19:05:50 -0600, Mech <mech@m3ch.net> wrote:
> Anybody else noticed issues with getting SooperLooper to lock-synchronize
> with the clock in Ableton Live 4.x?
>
> Every time I get the sync working between the two, I find that
>SooperLooper
> is clocking about 1/10th to 2/10th's of a BPM off from Ableton.  For
> instance, 120.0 BPM in Live almost always reads as 119.8 BPM in
> SL.  Usually SooperLooper is slower, but occasionally it reads fast.  I
> don't believe it's merely a display error, as the two do gradually drift
> apart after several repetitions of the loop.  SooperLooper's
> synchronization is set to "MIDI Clock", and quantize to "8ths".

The display shows measured bpm over probably too short of an averaged
window.  The actual reception of the MIDI clock ticks is what controls
the sync, not that measured/displayed value.

Do you have "play sync" enabled on the loop?  Otherwise it will not
attempt to stay in sync during normal playback.  The "sync" affects
synced quantization of record and other loop operations only.

> I've tried downloading a third-party MIDI clock program (from
> http://www.grantedsw.com) in hopes that maybe having both programs sync
> an arbitrary source might help, but haven't yet been able to get
> SooperLooper to recognize that at all.

You have to use a MIDI patchbay (like
http://pete.yandell.com/software/ ) to connect other coremidi apps to
SL.  I downloaded MidiClock and it works fine after connecting with
Midi Patchbay.

As for accuracy of the MIDI playback syncing, you will find that your
audio buffer size in jack will affect it.  The lower the latency, the
closer it should track.  Also, the playback sync does so by
periodically retriggering near loop boundaries if drift is sensed.
This technique is not particularly ideal, but it should work OK when
the external tempo remains the same as the initial recorded loop (when
synced).

For any further detailed discussion of SooperLooper, please join the
mailing list at
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/sooperlooper-users

jlc