Re: All-Laptop live?

I am thinking of heading this way, too. Especially since I have strained
my
back carrying stuff for the last two looping gigs! I like the way my jazz
setup
sounds, but it's too heavy. Maybe I need to mount wheels and a handle on
the
pedalboard cases so I can wheel 'em around like a suitcase.

<http://www.marksmart.net/gearhack/jazzpedalboard/jazzpedalboard.html>

I was playing around with Reaktor this weekend on my home PC, and it was
really
easy to get a basic looping thing going and have a pedal control it via
MIDI.
Even with my crappy 500 MHz PIII and Layla 20, I could get a nice
low-latency
(4ms) thing happening. The fact that you can totally customize everything
is
great. With the hardware setup I have to step on the RC-20 to stop the
drum
loop after the main loop gets going, but in Reaktor I could make that all
automatic, AND I could have more than 22 drums beats, AND I could add my
big band horns:

<http://www.marksmart.net/sounddesign/windsounds/reaktorbigband/reaktorbigband.h
tml>

I'm still hesitating because of the expense of a laptop, plus a new sound
card
(my Layla 20 won't work with the Echo PC card). But it won't be long. I'm
investigating Ableton to see if that would be good for what I do. In
addition
to having Reaktor going, it would be cool to incorporate the B4 into it
too,
so I could do one-man organ trio stuff. But then I gotta bring a
keyboard....

Many cool possibilities.

Mark Smart
http://www.marksmart.net