From: bruce tovsky [mailto:bruce@skeletonhome.com]
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2005 1:23 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: All-Laptop live?? (was RE: RE: A poll--shoes off?)

i use ableton live 4.1 with my g4 laptop/mbox combo.
with the digi core audio driver (in os x) you can utilize
the mbox ins and outs with any audio software. using
pro tools draws too much cpu (for my stuff anyway) and
live is friendlier in that regard. the nice thing about using pro tools
is its more flexible routing possibilities using aux channels. live's
send/receive architecture works fine for my purposes, i just like the
pro tools structure better. the way you assign midi/keystroke controls
in live is also a heck of a lot easier than with pro tools. i use a
tascam us428 and a niche faderbox for midi control, though almost
anything that sends midi cc messages will work just fine with live.
cheers bruce

On Mar 7, 2005, at 2:08 PM, Kris Hartung wrote:

> What software are you running to host your effect plugins? I ended up
> using my Digidesign mBox and Pro Tools LE, because I can use the high
> quality mBox XLR inserts and bipass the soundcard. I bought a VST to
> RTAS converter to make all those free VST plugins compatable with Pro
> Tools....now I just need figure out how to controll them. I bought a
> PC midi connection device through a recommendation from Per. I think
> it is just a matter of assigning various MIDI numbers or contollers to

> the patches, their parameters, etc.  Basically, I'll run the mBox
> through the AUX channel of my board...so mixer and laptop will be
> side-by-side on my rack.
>
> Kris

bruce tovsky
www.skeletonhome.com