Re: Noob saxist feedback question

tom
the key is to get a mic and/or pickup combo that has
good "rejection" of off-axis sound. mics with good
rejection are generally cardioid or hypercardioid
(the name means "heart-shaped") and reject sound
coming from behind and to a lesser extent from the
side. i've know sax players to get good results from
"bell" mics - the kind that clip on the the lip of the bell
or use a mount that floats the mic within the bell.
i believe there are also sax pickups that can be
retrofitted to your instrument with minimal modification,
though i know much less about these. of course there
is also the totally electronic approach with instruments
like the yamaha wx7 and such that eschew acoustics
for a synthesized tone. positioning yourself onstage
is another obvious solution. trickier approaches using
gates in your audio chain could be used as a last resort.
hope this helps
cheers
bruce

On Mar 8, 2005, at 2:55 PM, <tohall@rcn.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
> I've been perusing the site and the Archives for awhile now,
> but have recently gotten a Boomerang, and have joined the
> ranks of wanna-be loopers!
>
> I am having a lot of fun! However, as an strictly acoustic
> (saxophone) musician for most of my life, it is a BIG change
> to have to ponder with the realities of dealing directly with
> the electronic reproduction of sound. Please be patient if I
> ask questions that are staggeringly obvious!
>
> Here's my first problem:
> When looping live with other players, is there any way to
> diminish/control the amount of extraneous noise from other
> instruments and monitors onstage building up in my loops?
>

> Thanks,
> Tom Hall
> www.freeimprovisation.com

bruce tovsky