AW: Underwater latency (not completely OT) ;-)

>Actually, if I remember my (very) basic college classes in acoustic
>physics, sound travels more slowly in water than air.  I think this is
due
>to the density of the medium that the sound wave is travelling
>through.  There's less dispersion, however, because the medium is more
>coherent.

If I remember my (very) basic university classes in physics, we usually
would test any theories we might have by bringing them to extreme values
and see what happens. If lower density = lower speed of sound, then we
would have sound travelling at infinite speed in vacuum. I don't believe
this is the case. Sound does travel faster in water, a fact you can even
notice when a thunderstorm starts while you're in the ocean (DO NOT TRY
THIS AT HOME !!!)

        Rainer