USB audio problems

Well, for those of you who may recall, I was having glitching/skipping with my Tascam US-122 and Dell Inspiron 2500 (900 mHz Celeron) running XP with 128 megs of ram. This was happening when simply playing a wav or mp3 off of my hard drive, ***not*** under any strenuous system usage.

I thought the USB 1.1 ports were causing the problem, so I "upgraded" to a PCMCIA card with USB 2 ports. The glitching is 10 times worse when I plug into the USB 2 ports on the card. Why?

Then I thought maybe I have too little ram, and the glitching occurs when the paging file kicks in or something. So I went out and bought two sticks of 256 ram. So I've quatrupled my ram, and guess what... It still glitches just as much.

Someone mentioned that Dells of this era may have problems with interference between the power supply and the USB ports. I noticed today that when I plug the power supply in, you can hear some static and radio-type interference coming through the interface. Is this normal? I did plug it into the same power strip as my stereo system if that makes a difference.

I just can't figure what it might be. If the wiring of the computer is in fact the problem, than 1. why does the glitching still occur with the PCMCIA card? and 2. why does it occur even when running off of the battery?

Again, any help would be great.
-Devin

Do you Yahoo!?