re: jealous of bay area gigs

Thanks to Rick for all the advice! Actually, I have done a number of
looping shows here in Boulder at Penny Lane and have been pretty well
received. Danny Shafer, who books the shows there, is a big fan, so
it's pretty easy to get a date. I also participated in a performance
of Cobra, John Zorn's musical game, directed by Erik Deutsch, in
which some looping was done (also a weird version of manual looping
where one musician has to take over the part of another, so that as a
bass player (which really didn't sound like bass, but we all know
that) I had to manually loop parts from trumpet players (Ron Miles),
percussionists (Jamie Janover) turntablists, ouds, drumsets, etc,
etc). Erik and I have also done looping gigs at other coffee houses,
etc.

It's been hard to keep the momentum, though. There is a small,
enthusiastic audience, but it gets saturated quickly. I think what I
miss from the bigger cities is the diversity of audience and
performers, where there is enough going on so that each event doesn't
have to start from absolute scratch. Anyway, maybe it's time for us
Front Range loopers to identify ourselves and get a real show
together!

Edwin
--

Edwin Hurwitz