Re: jealous of bay area gigs

  Not all of the places I mentioned charge admission.Duality is a quality
of
human mind,having to do with how neurons work.But in the  realm commonly
refered to as 'the real world' there is no coin with less than 3
sides,such
a thing would violate what are called the laws of physics. Some events
already have crowds,and do want performers to be the focus of
attention-sometimes just to put the crowd in a good mood for the main
act,like some political and community functions,like awards
ceremonies.I've
done a number of Artist in the schools programs-the crowd is literaly a
captive audience,the performance is very much the focus of attention,and
they aren't doing it to effect the bottom line. I've played for dance
performances extensively,the dancers beleive themselves to be the ones
drawing a crowd,they could just use recorded music,but live music is
better
artistically.It's not background,it's interactive,the music is a
fundamental
componant of the art being created.  I've been paid to play a number of
free admission,summer in the parks type gigs sponsored by local
governments,the point of which is to give people the experience of being
part of a vibrant community.No bottmon line or background involved.Some
free
gigs are sponsored by businesses who want the name exposure to be good for
their businesses,but usually the organizers of these events ,the ones who
solicit the business donationsare doing it because they love live
music,and
often are volunteers.
   The idea of two kinds of places could be useful for someone
inexperienced
needing to learn how to deal with booking gigs ,It's a good rule of thumb
for the venues it fits, fine for those happy with the sort of niche.But
it's
a shame for artists to think only bars restaraunts and coffeeshops are the
only available forums for public performance.